The pace of change in digital technology is accelerating exponentially, particularly in the field of artificial intelligence (AI). We believe the time to move on AI is now. Low barriers to entry for AI will accelerate the rate of competition. This trend coupled with the exponential growth of AI accelerates high-performing organizations and will leave the slow movers behind.
At Alpha Silicon, why are we experiencing the current level of growth in the AI field? There are several factors:
- High-performance computing power is readily available
- Data to train and fuel AI is more accessible
- Democratization of AI skills
- Proliferation of AI products and solutions
We view AI as a collection of multiple technologies that enable machines to sense, comprehend and act; and learn; either on their own or to augment human activities. As a new factor of production, AI has the potential to introduce new sources of growth.
Today’s definition of AI refers to multiple technologies that can be combined in different ways to:
- Sense—computer vision and audio processing, for example, are able to actively perceive the world around them by acquiring and processing images, sounds and speech. The use of facial recognition at border control kiosks is one example of how it can improve productivity.
- Comprehend—natural language processing and interference engines can enable AI systems to analyze and understand the information collected. This technology is used to power the language translation feature of search engine results.